Someone please tell me why this patio drain is a bad idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
I'm preparing to do some concrete patio work around the perimeter of the house. I've been hitting all the local plumbing and building supply stores for appropriate patio drains to connect to my network of 4" PVC storm drain pipes that are already buried in the appropriate locations to make this an easy job.

I'm having trouble finding exactly what I want: basically, 5" heavy brass grate with a no-hub connection. Some are all scratched up, some are poor quality i.e. thin stamped grate, some are too small, many are expensive interior floor drains -- the ones where the grate threads in to a bulky cast iron flange with a trap primer tapped in.

Can somebody fill me in on why this little mock-up would be a bad idea? 4" PVC reduced to 3" for my branch arms to the individual drain inlets, good quality brass grate, no hub coupling like the cleanout covers I'm using are going to use, easy to set height and level , and there's even a bit of flange so the concrete can support it.

I'm really not seeing much difference here compared to the full assembly with the cast iron base, other than some water will get through the joint between the concrete and the drain. But this is outdoors, and while i am trying to minimize ground water intrusion, this small amount is OK.

nohubdrain.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think it's a fine look.
One thing to keep in mind is that you will need to take the covers off when the lines need to be cleaned out, so whatever you do it needs to be serviceable.

Speede541

Reaction score
Thanks.

Cacher Chick, it's a removable grate from JRSmith. Like I wrote last week, an important requirement has been that it's removable/replaceable and from an reputable brand, in case one breaks.

Jerome, the plan I came up for a catch basin is to use a capped 'T' standing on end in place of the 90 shown, using that as my catch basin. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?40713-Outdoor-patio-drains-Zurn-products-traps

Again, thanks for the input.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't care much for the idea of setting the fernco in concrete and expecting to thread the grate into it every season for for 20 years.

If the threads on the grate are I.P.S., I would use a slip x female adapter instead.

Last edited:

Speede541

Reaction score
The grate is removable from the body. I guess the hold-down screws didn't show up too well in that photo. I figure the drain to Fernco is permanent once the band is tightened and the concrete is set.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks