Some kind of build up on the outside of the external pipes on my hot water tank.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Mikie Phillips, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Mikie Phillips

Mikie Phillips New Member

I noticed this build up months ago and now my dad told me to take a look at it and see what i think. Well i have no idea what this build up is so i'll just show some pictures. Any help on what this is or even what needs to be done will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

If that isn't a red flag I don't know what is.

Who cares what the corrosion is, that tank is LONG overdue.

I like the soot marks coming from the combustion chamber too. Wow.
  3. Mikie Phillips

Mikie Phillips New Member

Ya i thought so. But any idea what the build up is. My dad will most likely want an answer on what it is. If not then i 'll just tell him that it is what it is, OLD. But thanks for responding to this post quickly i thought is would have taken weeks for a actual opinion.
  4. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

I told you what it is.

It's corrosion.

The tank is made of steel and probably has a coating on the inside, as well as an anode rod inside... The rod is sacrificial so the steel will last longer.

I don't understand what needs to be explained further, the thing needs to be replaced, the corrosion on the top of it isn't a good sign... I can't tell you the chemical make up of that crud, and I don't see why you'd need to know exactly anyways.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

One source of the corrosion could be because they have a copper pipe attached DIRECTLY to the water heater, which is a source of electrolysis causing deterioration of the steel tank.