Some kind of build up on the outside of the external pipes on my hot water tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikie Phillips

Reaction score
I noticed this build up months ago and now my dad told me to take a look at it and see what i think. Well i have no idea what this build up is so i'll just show some pictures. Any help on what this is or even what needs to be done will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• DSCN0173.jpg
    DSCN0173.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 407
  • DSCN0169.jpg
    DSCN0169.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCN0172.jpg
    DSCN0172.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 415
  • DSCN0171.jpg
    DSCN0171.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCN0168.jpg
    DSCN0168.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 389

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
If that isn't a red flag I don't know what is.

Who cares what the corrosion is, that tank is LONG overdue.

I like the soot marks coming from the combustion chamber too. Wow.

Mikie Phillips

Reaction score
Ya i thought so. But any idea what the build up is. My dad will most likely want an answer on what it is. If not then i 'll just tell him that it is what it is, OLD. But thanks for responding to this post quickly i thought is would have taken weeks for a actual opinion.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I told you what it is.

It's corrosion.

The tank is made of steel and probably has a coating on the inside, as well as an anode rod inside... The rod is sacrificial so the steel will last longer.

I don't understand what needs to be explained further, the thing needs to be replaced, the corrosion on the top of it isn't a good sign... I can't tell you the chemical make up of that crud, and I don't see why you'd need to know exactly anyways.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One source of the corrosion could be because they have a copper pipe attached DIRECTLY to the water heater, which is a source of electrolysis causing deterioration of the steel tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks