some grounding questions

Users who are viewing this thread

solutions

Reaction score
How is it determined where a circuits first receptacle is,for GFCI protection to all other receptacles downstream on that circuit? If this helps... 9 of the 13 receptacles have a single 2 wire cable going into the box,the other 4 receptacles have 2 , 2 wire cables going into the box.

And is the label "No equipment Ground" or "GFCI Protected" needed ?

With this old 2 wire system i am getting a weak glow from a neon light tester when i test for ground with 9 of the 13 receps,A strong glow from two receps,(see below),and 2 recptacles show no kind of ground reading glow at all. Why should i get a reading of a ground if this is a un-grounded system?

It gets stranger at least to me right now..lol. In a kitchen receptacle and a receptacle in the living room both have a real ground? did the electrician back in the 1950's decide to stop using ground wire for the rest of the house...?

Any advice or suggestions welcome from master electricians,electricians and all

Thanks!!

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Obviously if there's only one cable going into a box, there's nothing downstream from it, so you can rule out 9 of the boxes. How many GFCI receptacles do you have?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the wire was run in BX(? -the one with the metal jacket), the metal jacket was grounded at the panel and at the box. Since it is steel, it corrodes, and increasingly becomes a worse and worse ground. That is the situation at my mother's house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks