Some flux questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Jagermeister

Reaction score
My first question is does flux go bad? I bought some flux about 8 years ago to do a repair job and was about to use it again. It doesn't look separated or anything. Just curious if the chemical composition degrades over time.

Also, in doing some recent research, I've found that 'water soluble' flux is required for all potable water systems. Can anyone tell me if the flux I have is water soluble? It doesn't say as such on the container so I'm guessing it probably isn't.

Rectorseal C-flux, Product Code 74026, Lead Free, Acid Free

It was a plumber working at a big box retailer that initially sold me the flux for my repair project and, as it was lead free, I had assumed it was the correct stuff to use. If not water soluble, can someone recommend a good water soluble flux to use?

Thanks for any help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; recommend a good water soluble flux to use?

In my opinion, using the words GOOD and WATER SOLUBLE in the same sentence is an oxymoron. There are "good" fluxes and there a "water soluble" ones. The water soluble fluxes are somewhat difficult to work with because they "burn" very easily and then the joint has to be taken apart and redone.

nokorode-and-solder.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For someone that doesn't solder pipe very often, the 'newer' water soluble fluxes ARE a pain. Your technique must be much better than with the older ones. I think those in a 'tinning' version (they have powdered solder in them) are a little more forgiving.

DaveHo

Reaction score
I'm with hj on this one. As a fairly experienced DIY'er, I've tried the water soluble fluxes & don't like them. Oatey #95 is all I use. Never had a bad joint with it.

Reaction score
What's wrong with the water soluble? Or what's better about the #95. I've used the water soluble and it works fine. What does the #95 offer that makes life easier?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
#95 is a tinning flux...I think it gives the DIY'er a better indication when the joint is hot enough...the solder in the flux starts to melt, then you know it's time to add the rest to complete the joint.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The other thing the tinning flux does is there's enough solder in it to coat the copper, minimizing the chance of it burning if the flux is all burned out...it is easier to use. Do you need it, certainly not, but for someone that does it rarely, it makes things easier.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I used water soluble flux on my last big project. It took a while to get used to lead-free solder and the flux -- a lot less forgiving than the old stuff. After a couple of practice joints, everything was fine. However about a year later when I tried to use it, the flux was bad. Don't remember that happening before...

Reaction score
Well shoot, I was I knew about the #95 all this time. I just grabbed the water soluble as it was there and available years ago when I first had the oppty to sweat pipes. Why does the water soluble exist if it is problematic or when is it supposed to be used?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; guess I have a feel for when it's hot enough, the copper starts turning color, etc.

When you reach that stage, you have overheated the joint and your water soluble flux is burnt. It exists because bureaucrats, who know nothing about most things, thought it was a good idea to mandate it.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Flux does have a expiration date.

hj hit the nail on the head.

Anything that is "New and improved" to make your health better is a red flag.

Water base flux will vaporize at a lower temperature.

Put the lid on your flux and in the beer cooler for best results in storage.

DonL

Reaction score
I use water based flux, but then I've been soldering for years, so it works for me.
I haven't used acid flux in decades.

soldering_kit.jpg

It does work, and you have to use it being in the business.

A homeowner can use Vaseline if they like, but code may not allow it.

In that case KY works fair and is safe.

Reaction score
quote; guess I have a feel for when it's hot enough, the copper starts turning color, etc.

When you reach that stage, you have overheated the joint and your water soluble flus is burnt. It exists because bureaucrats, who know nothing about most things, thought it was a good idea to mandate it.

Hmm, seems to work okay for me. Haven't had an issue. So was water soluble flux made because the guvment thought it would be less toxic or something? I seriously don't know why there is water soluble if #95 is so much better and easier.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I have never tried that. How does that work? And what is the working ingrediant?
I don't think they sell that where I buy my supplies.

Not really sure but the inert ingredient is water. Just add pipe.

I have made many joints using no flux at all.

Good Prep Cleaning and keeping the torch out of the area where you add solder works. Let a good solder do the work.

I have seen acid core solder and flux eat on copper, The flux needs to be cleaned off.

Your kit was missing Safety glasses, They are a must in my book.

I am no pro, as you know.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It does work, and you have to use it being in the business.

A homeowner can use Vaseline if they like, but code may not allow it.

In that case KY works fair and is safe.
if you use KY and get the job inspected Don, you're screwed. Be careful. It's only allowed in Louisville and Lexington Kentucky.:p

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Not really sure but the inert ingredient is water. Just add pipe.

I have made many joints using no flux at all.

Good Prep Cleaning and keeping the torch out of the area where you add solder works. Let a good solder do the work.

I have seen acid core solder and flux eat on copper, The flux needs to be cleaned off.

Your kit was missing Safety glasses, They are a must in my book.

I am no pro, as you know.
Don, are you using 6/40 rosin flux electronics solder? Lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks