Some advice needed for a rookie. Copper to ABS

Users who are viewing this thread

heshperera

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post...great forum BTW.

I'm currently in the middle of a tiling project...after removing toilet, subfloor etc, noticed that the current toilet flange is in rough shape and sits approximately 1" below where my eventual finished floor will be. I'd like to replace the flange and have it sit on top of the finished tile floor. The closet bend and waste piping are copper.

My plan was to cut the waste piping at the yellow point in the attached picture, and use a Fernco proflex coupling to join a new ABS closet bend/flange. Is this appropriate to do? Would another approach work better?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Attachments

• Closet Bend.JPG
    Closet Bend.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 306
  • Closet Bend 2.JPG
    Closet Bend 2.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 308

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mission makes a Copper by plastic transistion coupling. Fernco may also. It's the metal wrapped version with differing thickness on each side of the rubber sleeve.

heshperera

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Terry. I'll look for the mission brand transition coupling.
Does this mean that the plan sounds OK to you?

Sean

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
ANy one of the reinforced connectors will work IF you get the right size. ANd, yes, Fernco does make one, along with others. You may need to go to a real plumbing store to find one, as the big box stores probably do not carry it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would consider making the cut on the vertical, below the flange if there is room. That way you many not need to enlarge the hole through the joist.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks