Solo-Touch whirlpool control

Users who are viewing this thread

d1bushman

Reaction score
I have a Passport Ensemble Whirlpool where the touch sensitive electronic on/off control has stopped working. It was turned on once and never would go off. Finally I had to turn the breaker off to be able to let the water out.

I have read on here that Hessco is out of business and Laurel Mountain has their parts. I have found one of these controllers from Laurel Mountain. It does look to be the same size and shape as the Passport one.

First, does anyone know if I can use this Laurel Mountain part to replace the Passport Ensemble controller I have? And secondly, has anyone changed one of these out? Our tub doesn't have any kind of panel for easy access to the underneath of the controller. I don't know if it just pops off of the top or if I need to get below it. I can move it and get a screwdriver under it, but I hadn't wanted to bust it off, if it's not supposed to come off that way.

Any more knowledge on this is appreciated.
Thanks.

d1bushman

Reaction score
touch electronic on/off control

Actually there is a panel that I can get in, on the back, but it still doesn't give me access to the control.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
Oops, forget that previous post. I thought you were talking about a Whirlpool washer.

d1bushman

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Since I've seen other questions about Passport Ensemble, I'll post what I found. I talked to Laurel Mountain. They said that they bought the Hessco molds, but directed me to http://www.uspartscenter.com for parts. They said that they were now under the Swirlway brand name.

I haven't solved my problem, but I'm getting farther. I noticed last night that the pump doesn't turn off even when the water is let out below the sensor. So it might not just be the soft-touch control, but maybe a wire has grounded out? I'll look in that direction. Anyone seen this problem?

clarksco

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my Passport Ensemble that I have been researching. From what I can tell mine was manufactured in 1992. You can usually turn it on (eventually) and once in a while turn it off with the touch control. Here is what I’ve found so far:

There is a nut on the back of the touch control switch that holds it to the tub. There is also a wire with a ring connector on the end that runs from the switch to the control unit.

The control unit has three wires coming from it: one to the touch control, one to the water level sensor, and one to a “no water sensor†that is located inside in the water inlet pipe.

I am thinking of replace the touch control first (since it is hopefully fairly cheap) to see if that fixes it. Next step is probably to replace the control unit. I have not tried to contact anyone for parts yet.

On the Laurel Mountain website, click on Help, and then owners manual, and it brings up an owners manual that may be helpful. Page 5 has a section on the “Optional Touch-control Operation†that sounds like what I have. The pictures aren’t the best but it may help.

d1bushman

Reaction score
Thanks for the message clarksco. Sorry I didn't notice earlier. I ended up getting mine working again, so I'll post what it was in case anyone else has this. The problem I was that the water level sensor wire from the control unit had grounded out. I unhooked it from the control unit (while it had power), noticed the indicator lights, and reconnected it back together and it worked again. Still is to this day. Hope yours is this easy.

US Parts Center

Reaction score
Website
www.uspartscenter.com
Hessco Passport Parts

We do have jet trim, controls and pumps for all the old Hessco Passport Emsemble tubs.
go to our website and click on the 'Hessco' link under the Bath Parts section right on the front page.
if you have further questions you may call us in the office 888-521-6183
Hessco used HydroDynamic jets and pumps on their tubs. That is what customers are calling for the most and the pictures they send in have been for that jet mfg the most.:)

US Parts Center

Reaction score
Website
www.uspartscenter.com
Touch pad / Hessco

the touch pad you refer to was made by Sensatron - currently Mfg by HydraBaths in Santa Ana, CA - we have ALL the replacement control boxes as well as the touch pads if you so need them. What you will need to update the system is the numbers off the old box so we can match up what you had to the current replacement.
You probably have this fixed by now but we sell all the current boxes avaialble from HydraBaths.
http://www.bathpartsplus.com/Mercha...de=BPP&Product_Code=EC353&Category_Code=HBMFG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks