Solid waste ejector pump piping

Users who are viewing this thread

meesterbig

Reaction score
Hello.

My basement floor waste plumbing is 8' below street level, which requires a solid waste ejector pump. This drain line includes an in-floor collector tank a pump (2" pipe outlet), followed by a check valve, then some sort of 2" plastic ball valve. The 2" pipe then proceeds upward from the ball valve and ties into the horizontal 3" main in the ceiling.

My question concerns this 2" ball valve. This thing is jammed so it cannot be opened or closed, and has been this way for the 12 years I have owned his home. My (new) pump behaves very erratically and I have come to suspect waste becomes stuck in or around this valve. I have decided to remove it.

Do I really need this in-line ball valve if I have the check valve to hold back the remaining waste in the line whenever I need to change replace the pump?

thanx in advance for the help.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Hello.

My basement floor waste plumbing is 8' below street level, which requires a solid waste ejector pump. This drain line includes an in-floor collector tank a pump (2" pipe outlet), followed by a check valve, then some sort of 2" plastic ball valve. The 2" pipe then proceeds upward from the ball valve and ties into the horizontal 3" main in the ceiling.

My question concerns this 2" ball valve. This thing is jammed so it cannot be opened or closed, and has been this way for the 12 years I have owned his home. My (new) pump behaves very erratically and I have come to suspect waste becomes stuck in or around this valve. I have decided to remove it.

Do I really need this in-line ball valve if I have the check valve to hold back the remaining waste in the line whenever I need to change replace the pump?

thanx in advance for the help.

The pump is failing and you're blaming a ball valve?

meesterbig

Reaction score
The pump is failing and you're blaming a ball valve?

The pump was recently replaced with a Zoeller. It works erratically in that the pump will sometimes cycle for 5-10 seconds, or upwards of a minute or longer for the same displacement. I have no idea how or why the new pump could be causing this. But since the ball valve is obviously broken in some manner I wonder if something is moving or becoming blocked inside, perhaps causing a restriction.

I have also replaced the check valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks