Solid object in toilet- To auger or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lina

Reaction score
My husband and the plumber were bailing out the bathtub the other day. It had a clogged drain. They were dumping the water down the toilet, and inadvertantly dumped the rubber tub stopper down the toilet, too. The stopper is about 1.5 inches in diameter.

The plumber said it was small enough, it would go down. Well, since then the toilet has not been flushing as vigorously as it used to. It still functions enough to be used, but it's not quite right. If it encountered a serious challenge to its capacity, it might not be able to handle it.

My question: Should I attempt to auger the toilet? I assume the stopper is caught up either in a bend of the toilet drain, or maybe where the toilet meets the main drain. I am concerned that if augering pushes the stopper into the main drain, it will create additional problems and be non-recoverable at that point. But maybe it would be OK, because the main drain pipe is wide enough?

Please advise? Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stopper

If a rubber tub stopper, which is usually 1 1/2" in diameter can stop up the toilet, then ALMOST anything else will also, because the hole in the toilet is too small to be useful. AND if it is stuck in there it is too hard for a closet auger to grab it, and there would not be enough room for the auger to go past it and knock it back.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks