soldering soft copper

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by scott99, Feb 6, 2007.

1. scott99

scott99 New Member

I was just reading an article that said you can't solder soft copper but need to use a flare or compression joint. Is that correct?

I just cut out a section that was soldered with a coupler connecting soft to rigid and was planning on doing the same thing.

I also noticed that my Autocut pipe cutter seems to crush the soft pipe a tad when using it. found on their web site that it's not to be used on soft copper. the area is too tight to use a hack saw to cut it off.

thoughts?
  2. dubldare

dubldare Plumber/Gasfitter

Get a new cutter. Autocut's, while quick, do a good job of mangling pipe. A normal imp cutter will do a better job and be controlable.

I've soldered and brazed soft copper countless times, probably equal to what I've flared.

Post the article, if you will.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  3. scott99

scott99 New Member

found it on ************.

I'm going to proceed, but noticed that my coupler is pretty tight on the soft copper. probably since it's a bit out of round. is there a chance that the fitting will be so tight solder won't take?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

solder

The tighter the fitting, up to a point, the better the joint will be. It is the loose joints that do not solder properly.
  5. Racer814

Racer814 New Member

^what he said...

and for the record, Bridget solder will fill a "loose" fitting better than any....and when you are dealing with soft copper you are going to have loose/tight joints
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

solder

The capillary attraction that makes the solder flow to the "end" of the joint DEPENDS on a tight joint. If the joint is loose the only way it is going to fill the joint is if it is on a vertical pipe and you "pour" the solder into it.
  7. Racer814

Racer814 New Member

right on about the capillary action......when I say "loose"....I'm using that term loosely

I mean it is not an optimal fit...like a horizontal run of copper that will sag downwards in the fitting until you get it supported....that "play" in the joint is what I'm talking about and Bridget solder is the best solder I have ever used whether the joint is "tight" or "loose"