Soldering pipe to shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

ragtop68rs

Reaction score
Guys, what's the trick to doing this? I removed the cartridge and I'm trying to solder in the copper pipe but I can't seem to get it hot enough. Should I be heating the pipe, the valve or both at the same time? Thanks, John

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Lots of possibilties.

You should be heating the cleaned and fluxed joint itself on all sides as much as possible.

Should take no more than 30 seconds before it sucks the solder up into the joint.

You do not need to feed the joint solder until it's running and dripping on eveything.

If the torch is of sufficient capacity and the flame shape is correct as in forcefull and pointy.

If there is no water whatsoever in the the joint.

Applies to all solder joints.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The shower valve body has a lot of mass and takes more time to bring up to temperature than the pipe or other fittings. You want to try to heat both sides of the joint evenly.
Mapp gas is hotter than propane & thus works better for valves.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the valve body threaded? Many are and if it is, sweat a copper pipe to a male adapter. Then screw the adapter into the valve body. After that, just cut a sweat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks