Soldering on the grill - really.

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYitright

Reaction score
Not a joke, an experiment.

A single propane torch was not enough to solder 1/2" copper tube to the large brass shower valve. The hunk of brass was a big heat sink. I mentioned this to DW and she said: "So? Put it on the grill."

It could work. Other industries assemble parts and place them in ovens to solder the pieces all at once. Unwilling to trash a whole valve if it went wrong, I worked up to it. Yes, the valve has no plastic pieces. I checked. It is all machined brass.

Experiment 1 with copper tubing:
I fired up the gas grill until it read 600F
Two scrap pieces of tubing and a straight union, cleaned and fluxed, were laid on the grill for 5 minutes with the lid closed. opened the lid, applied solder and it did not melt. Moved the pieces into a visible flame and the solder flowed right into the joint. It worked.

Experiment 2 with an old shower valve:
Again at 600F
I used the old shower valve that was removed and had various bits soldered to it.
Waited 20 minutes.
The parts were still firm
I move it into the flame and after a few minutes was able to disassemble everything. It worked.

This could never be a suggested practice and you could trash an expensive valve. It made for interesting experiments.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I use mapp gas instead of propane as it delivers the extra heat neeted for bigger valves. The size of the torch tip counts also.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You had the wrong torch and/or gas. And, if I had to wait 5 minutes to do every joint, I would never finish a job. Grills are also difficult to use inside a wall.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You had the wrong torch and/or gas. And, if I had to wait 5 minutes to do every joint, I would never finish a job. Grills are also difficult to use inside a wall.

I agree, and not safe either. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks