Solder ring fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can get them everywhere.
Since they were introduced, they haven't become very popular.

Flapper

Reaction score
Why would you want this? It's so simple to solder a copper fitting.
It's not "so simple" to solder a copper fitting correctly. These are much simpler and probably much more reliable in creating good joints. Why wouldn't I want this?

Flapper

Reaction score
You can get them everywhere.
Since they were introduced, they haven't become very popular.
Your idea of "everywhere" is probably different because I searched Home Depot, Lowe's Supply House, Plumbing Supply, and Google Search and could not find anything. Is there another keyword for them?

Flapper

Reaction score
Also where can I find compression fittings (elbows, couplings, tees, etc) for 3/4" and 1"? (not just ball valves or whatever) They would be really helpful but I cannot find them anywhere, all I can find is compression fittings for the little crap!!
In the UK they can use compression fittings for everything, and they also have solder ring fittings and lots of different kinds of push fittings. Here it seems to be impossible to get compression fittings for 3/4" or 1" and difficult to find solder ring fittings. (Only compression fittings for those sizes I could find are built in to stuff like ball valves and flexes) All we have is sharkbite and similar ones. Which is great but is super expensive and I'd rather use compression fittings which are probably much more reliable. :mad:

Flapper

Reaction score
I would NEVER use a "large size" compression fitting. There is too much leverage to cause them to leak.
They have been used many times in the UK with no complains like that that I am aware , and there are also ball valves and flexes with compression connections that have been used with no problems that I am aware of, so I think your opinion is just an irrational assumption. Have you actually had experience with 3/4" or 1" compression fittings?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's not "so simple" to solder a copper fitting correctly. These are much simpler and probably much more reliable in creating good joints. Why wouldn't I want this?

Just a few days ago somebody here mentioned supplyhouse.com - they have them. Menards sells them online too.

Flapper

Reaction score
IMO, if you can't solder - you shouldn't be doing plumbing!

It is so easy to master. Compression is crap - except for 1/4 or 3/8 supplies to fixtures.
I CAN solder; I've soldered about 17 joints with one failure. I think solder ring fittings would be more reliable with properly flowing solder, especially in tight spaces where you cannot see the other side, and if they are about the same price, why not use solder ring fittings?
But I won't be using solder ring fittings because they are hard to get. I can solder (and next time I'd do better because I've learned more about it) but I'd use solder ring fittings if they're easy to get and the same price.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The prep is the same for solder ring or joints with regular sweat joints, clean tubing, good flux, proper heat.. Sweat rings look bulky like Propress

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks