Solder joint had slight bind - is this a problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy Merritt

Reaction score
I'm a complete amateur when it comes to plumbing but I've had pretty good luck, generally, with most home repairs. Last night I was replacing an ancient, corroded gate valve with a ball valve. I was low on pipe, didn't wanna run to the store, and I didn't push my pipe all the way into the ball valve - so I got a slight angle on the pipe and a bind in the fitting where it meets some old pipe. The pipe is pushed way into the coupling, on both ends, and (obviously) there's plenty off solder. Anyway: I've never sweat pipes and had them come apart, later. This doesn't leak, a bit, and I know it's messy as hell (I didn't even wipe the pipes off) - but is this something that absolutely should be corrected or will it hold - pretty much - forever? My wife is, like, "just leave it alone - how can it come apart....?". On the other hand, she knows a lot less than me - and that's bad. This is ugly, but I've got a LOT to fix in this house....... If it's just ugly, we can live with it... If there's a real danger that it could ever come apart, I'll just fix it. Personally, I don't think it can come apart just because it has this slight bind. But I'd rather get an opinion from someone who knows more than me (which is just about everybody - except, maybe, my wife).

copper.png

Last edited:

Guy Merritt

Reaction score
That implies the pipe is just bent. I would side with your wife.
And this is a hard area to work in - and something you would never see. It's in a tiny closet where the water heater sits... It sure as hell seems as if it would never leak - but it sure looks bad.....! I'd rather move on - thanks for the input.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I once had a customer with a 20 year old "bad joint" and it fell apart when he hit it with a can of peas, so age is NOT a good variable as to how long a "bad joint" would last. I will say, however, the it is unusual to see a coupling with the tubing "all the way into the socket" that could be bent that much.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Other than being close to a wall, that isn't a difficult area in which to work. You just need a shield to protect the wall then redo the work. The pipe on the left is not plumb and that is what is causing the problem. You will have to adjust the length of the pieces, and while you are at it, why not eliminate the coupler and just use a longer pipe from the valve to the elbow?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's only a few thousandths clearance between the OD of the pipe and the ID of the fitting, so, as HJ said, it's kind of hard to have the pipe seated well into the socket of the fitting and still have it at an angle. Is that a repair coupling (i.e., one without a stop)? IF so, it may not be centered around the two pipe ends.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks