Solder fitting for 1/4" O.D copper tubing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zaaphod

Reaction score
I'm installing a built in double oven in my kitchen with a steam assist feature, so it needs to be connected to a water line. The oven has a short piece of 1/4" O.D. tubing protruding from the back of it for this purpose. The instructions specify that the connection to the water supply remain copper until well outside the wall cavity the unit is built into due to the heat involved in the cavity when the oven is in operation. I have obtained a coil of matching 1/4" O.D. tubing from my local home supply store, long enough so I can attach it while the oven is on the floor in front of the cut out, with a nice loop so I can then install the oven in the cavity with the water line connected.. much the same as the way the electrical supply is connected. What I wish to do now is simply solder the two 1/4" O.D. tubes together so there will NEVER EVER be any chance of a leak at this junction behind the oven, as I do not want to remove a 300 pound double oven to repair a bad fitting, push to connect fittings are unacceptable for this, and compression fittings cannot withstand the twisting and turning that is going to happen when I install the oven into the cavity. This seemed so simple at the time... just get a coupler and solder the two tubes together... until I went to actually BUY a 1/4" O.D. Coupler.... At hardware supply stores, they have fittings labeled 1/4" but that is pipe size 1/4" NOT 1/4" O.D. So my question is, where in the world can I buy a 1/4" O.D. copper coupler for a solder connection? Is there such a thing? or is there some trick to it like using a short piece of a slightly larger tube? Or is there a different name for this size copper tube besides 1/4" O.D. (which is the name on the outside of the box of tubing I bought) I have this oven sitting on the floor of my kitchen waiting to be installed over this silly tiny fitting that can't be worth more than a nickel. I think small refrigeration systems must use similar tubing, and those can't possibly work without being soldered, so there must be a fittings for this, but my endless searching has produced nothing.

Any help on finding the fitting I need for this would be greatly appreciated

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It will not work with regular solder, but I use a piece of 3/8" o.d. copper and braze the 1/4" into it. A refrigeration supply house may have a regular coupling, but they normally to do not work with anything smaller than 3/8".

Zaaphod

Reaction score
It will not work with regular solder, but I use a piece of 3/8" o.d. copper and braze the 1/4" into it. A refrigeration supply house may have a regular coupling, but they normally to do not work with anything smaller than 3/8".
Do you think it would work with the high-temp solder normally used for refrigeration lines?

Reach4

Reaction score
At hardware supply stores, they have fittings labeled 1/4" but that is pipe size 1/4" NOT 1/4" O.D. So my question is, where in the world can I buy a 1/4" O.D. copper coupler for a solder connection? Is there such a thing? or is there some trick to it like using a short piece of a slightly larger tube? Or is there a different name for this size copper tube besides 1/4" O.D. (which is the name on the outside of the box of tubing I bought)
I think that is 1/8. https://www.plumbingsupply.com/copper.html

Zaaphod

Reaction score
Thanks for the help with this! knowing what to search for is a big help. almost everywhere lists it as 1/8" fittings. most of the on-line places charge $10-$12 shipping and handling, Grainger has it 5P170 for 68 cents, and I do have a grainger account, but it's a bit of a drive so I called some local plumbing stores and found one that stocks 1/8" fittings. It's a big help to know what you are asking for! I was trying to search for 1/4" O.D. couplers and getting nothing, once I started searching for 1/8" couplers I was able to get results.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks