Sold on Toto, but Sad on Design

Users who are viewing this thread

jonas3333

Reaction score
Over 10 hours now, I've been reading about toilets. Researching and learning what's good and bad. I've perused over 100 pages in the forum alone.
So, I get it. Performance-wise, The Toto Drake II is what I'm seeking in performance, height and the other dozens of considerations that I did not know existed when seeking a new toilet.

I was set on some kind of Kohler before, but only because I really dig their color "Cashmere" on some of their designs. "Ice Grey" was another option. I have an older home and would appreciate a seat with some style. Maybe a little art deco like the Carlton or the Connelly which have at least a little bit of design to them.

And I look at the Drake II and every time I think: "Boy, that sure is a boring looking toilet there." "Yup, that's one plain toilet."

And then, there's no real option other than white or almond especially if the CEFIONTECT treatment is desired, which the pages have strongly informed that it is. If they still offered the grey, I wouldn't even be typing this because of the overwhelming support the Drake gets.

I guess what I'm wondering is - even though the Drake II is right up there with the ultramodern Ultramax in popularity, do the Carltons and Connellys perform at that level? It seems the Drake II is the only one with the Double Cyclone flush which gets raves.
Can toilets be re-colored after purchase?
Is grey available if you super-secret ask the company?

Man, if Toto were to throw in color selection and style choices like Kohler has, there wouldn't even be a competition anymore. Seems like they'd pick up on that.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Go to the Toto website and use their filters. If you select one-piece toilets with the double-cyclone flushing system, you can then filter by colors. They have at least some of these models in beige, ebony, etc.

I have a Soiree and a couple of what are now called Ultramar one-piece toilets. All have the double-cyclone flushing system which works great. Good aesthetics too (as toilets go!)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you want gray, then I would go with Kohler.
Everybody has been making improvements to their lines. No, you can't recolor a toilet. If you have a color scheme, choose from the color pallets out there.

Anything with Double Cyclone from TOTO has been working well. A lot of models with different styles, but no gray.
The Aqua Piston from Kohler has been working too.
We install some American Standard Cadet Pro's, and their Champion has been improved over the years.

jonas3333

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback.
Atm, per your advice, I'm leaning towards the Tresham in Cashmere then due to color and style. I just hate to spend the $$ if it's going to be subpar in performance/costly to fix down the road.
I'll likely go for the Drake then once I get a new floor put in my upstairs bath, which is white.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wallijonn

Reaction score
I was set on some kind of Kohler before, but only because I really dig their color "Cashmere" on some of their designs. "Ice Grey" was another option.

And I look at the Drake II and every time I think: "Boy, that sure is a boring looking toilet there."

When it comes to bathrooms (toilets) going with any colour other than white can present problems when remodeling or selling the house. What colour is your shower tile or tub colour?

Have you noticed how the newest trend in kitchens is white? or black and white? Easier to light (lower watt bulbs), easier to see dirt, easier to know when it is clean.

Color schemes come and go and anything but white will date it decades later.

gray+toilet+and+bathroom.jpg

5+fushia+medium+gray+charcoal+washroom+white+subway+tile+with+triangular+shower+bench+nickle+fixtures+decorpad.com.jpg

In the lower photo what sticks out as a sore thumb, to me, is the inner shower floor. It should have been white, no? The white towel, the white toilet paper rack and the white in the picture frame balanced out nicely.

In the upper photo the shower tile should have matched the floor colour, imo. The tile is probably white and the lighting is shifting the colour to yellow. Or the grey wall behind the toilet should have been a match to the tile or the floor. Or the small accent tiles should have been the colour of the floor, with greys interspersed as they are now. Or the floor tiles should have been removed and something to match the shower installed, like a light grey.

My favourite colours are red and yellow (just like my car) but I'll be darned if I paint my bathroom or kitchen those colours.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks