Soil Stack Question

Users who are viewing this thread

pensfan84

Reaction score
I recently tore out my old cast iron stack in my house and am in the process of replacing it with ABS. I've replaced the vent portion thus far from the basement through the roof flashing with 2" ABS. I've also connected to the main cast iron pipe in the basement floor using a 4 band fernco coupling to 4" ABS. This soil stack is used to drain 2 lavatories, 2 toilets, and one tub.

Should I continue to use 4" ABS as the soil pipe before it is reduced to 2" for the vent stack, or should I use 3" ABS?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For what you have, 3" would be adequate...but is it code? Some areas require a full size vent all the way to roof. What existed in cast iron?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

You have to differentiate between what size is required for EACH fixture, and what size, or aggregate size, is required out the roof. They are two different numbers.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
One vent, 1/2 the size of the building drain is required to vent through the roof. IPC

pensfan84

Reaction score
Right - 2" is both code and is appropriate for everything that is being vented.

That's not my question - I am wondering if a 3" stack will work just as well as a 4" would for my scenario.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks