Soil compacting methods after laying ABS pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Blade_Jones

Reaction score
I just laid some new ABS pipes. They're in my driveway, which is cobblestone, so I don't want any settling to occur months later. Can foot stomping do the job or do I need to rent a compactor?

Blade_Jones

Reaction score
I'm curious what effect does soaking the soil in water have? Does the soil flatten out more after it dries? And with a tamper do you fill up the trench ALL THE WAY and THEN use it, OR do you use that tamper after filling a few inches at a time or something? Also I hope my ABS pipe down there doesn't get pushed down too much from the compacting.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
hj said:
You put in about 6" at a time and tamp it. The pipe should have been supported and "tamped" properly so it cannot settle.
Ideally the fill under the pipe should be tamped before laying the pipe, then layer and tamp the pipe. Water tamping works good when you use sand as backfill. Once it is compacted it is good to go. Other soils cannot get wet as you will create mud, which is not only messy but most installation standards prohibit the practice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks