softner advice and more

Users who are viewing this thread

adayrider

Reaction score
The short of the long, we built a new house 200 feet behind old house. (old will be demo'ed)
old house built 1901 well 85' 4" casing and recent water test fom local water place
hardness 19
iron 1.25
ph 8.2
tds655
new house (well 4 weeks old) 240' 5" casing same day same test
hardness 12
iron .25
ph 8.5
tds 345
3 adults for a couple more years at least then 2 someday maybe, 3 full baths no fancy tubs or anything
And I figure it at 6 or 7 gal. a min. from the pump (turn on water wait for pump to kick on turn off water when pump kicks off, measure water till pump kicks on and then time pump. I get about 6 gal and 51 sec. for the pump to build back up)
Had new softner and iron filter installed in old house 12 years ago when we bought the place. Fleck 9000 2 1047 tanks metered and 2510 greensand iron fiter on 12 day timer.

Now the iron filter never work right and would kick out the circut breaker for the well pump. So I just bypassed it for 11 years after fighting with the well pump guy and the softner guy and a bunch of fingure pointing.
The 9000 I have used for 12 years with iron out salt and just lived with the iron stains in toilets and everything else.
I was just going to rebuild the 9000 and the 2510 with new Orings plungers and media in tanks and move them to the new house. But after tearing into the 9000, its going to be close to $700 for parts and media just for the 9000. I can buy a brand new 5600 sxt 48000 for that much and everything is brand new.
So what would you do?
#1 rebuild the 9000,2510 for around $1000 (still not sure how to set them for when and how much to regen and backfluss and all that. what kind of media to buy for each?)
#2 buy new 5600 sxt 48000 and move the 2510 to new house and rebuild the 2510 in a year or 2 when I have less things to do.(5600 sxt seems a lot easier to set up)
#3 Your segestion?
I have the hach 5b coming so I can be more informed this time and get it right.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Sounds like someone cant do basic electrical troubleshooting. The amp draw from the 2510 is minimal and should not cause the system to trip.

You need to figure out what is going on with the 2510 before you invest in repairing it..

A twin alternating softener is not that critical for your application, a single tank system will be just fine. I would rebed the 2510 with Catalox Light if you want to re-use it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Now the iron filter never work right and would kick out the circut breaker for the well pump.
The breaker for the pump kicked out, presumably just because the greensand backwash was drawing 10 GPM for several minutes? That is weird.

adayrider

Reaction score
The breaker for the pump kicked out, presumably just because the greensand backwash was drawing 10 GPM for several minutes? That is weird.

Thats what I was thinking also. That or the smaller pump in the 4" casing or the very old wire to pump or the well. It would only do it if some other tap was open while it was regening.

Is the 5600 sxt 480000 with 3/4 hook up the right one size and such?

adayrider

Reaction score
I have been running the 2510 iron for almost 2 weeks now and it seems to do fine as long as nothing draws water when it regens.
So I will be putting it in for now at least. The 9000 was full of iron and needs to many parts. So I need to figure out what size 5600 xst I need and what extras to go with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks