Softener, What Questions to Ask?

Users who are viewing this thread

ajwilhorn

Reaction score
Looking to put in a water softener here in the next month or so and wondering what questions I should be asking the people coming out to the house to help in my decision making. Are there any "red flag" answers that I should be on the look out for etc? I've gotten some info on brands from a few of the businesses at home shows, but haven't had anyone out yet to test our water and give us recommendations.
Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest that you get an independent lab water test if you have a well. I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/

A free test can be expensive.

As to what to ask, maybe ask if there are restrictions on where you could buy repair parts in the future for what they propose.

Last edited:

ajwilhorn

Reaction score
I suggest that you get an independent lab water test if you have a well. I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/

A free test can be expensive.

As to what to ask, maybe ask if there are restrictions on where you could buy repair parts in the future for what they propose.

We are hooked up to municipal water supply. You suggest doing our own test rather than what they would do?

Reach4

Reaction score
We are hooked up to municipal water supply. You suggest doing our own test rather than what they would do?
No. That is what the "if you have a well" part was referring to. In your case, I would try to get a report from the water department that includes hardness information. If they cite a range of hardnesses, use the highest.

See the calculator at http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/sizing.php and continue with the SFR link at the bottom.

A softener uses resin. Some is better than others. "10% crosslinked" resin is supposed to hold up better than "8% crosslinked" in the face of chlorine.

Should you get a cartridge filter before the softener? Should you seek out branded resin or is generic OK? Do you want to have the cold faucet in the kitchen be not softened for watering plants and drinking? Do you want the taps outside to all be unsoftened, or do you want one with softened water for filling your yard sprayer or outside washing?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Municipal reporting is usually comprehensive except the amount of hardness is often not reported.

A titration type hardness test kit such as the Hach 5B is more accurate than test strip methods. If you're having equipment dealers attend your home, they should be testing your specific water themselves but if you're attending their facility, take a sample with you. Hardness can vary throughout the distribution system depending on your home's proximity to one well versus other wells. Best to test your specific water.

While you may think it better to purchase a big brand name, most softeners recommended on this site are assembled from generic off the shelf components utilizing either Fleck or Clack brand control valves and domestically manufactured tanks & resin. Generic systems are offered and supported by most local water treatment providers where parts and service are easily attainable. Brand names such as Culligan, Kinetico and others, may use proprietary equipment only offered through their dealer networks which is also often the only source for service and parts.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Stay away from "if you sign now we will give you a discount" salesguys. I would usually recommend that a Fleck, Clack, or Autotrol valve be used with a USA manufactured mineral and brine tank. Watch out for the plethora of cheap made in China knockoff valves that look like Fleck and Clack valves. Get a few quotes and let the guys know you are doing so. Watch out for the "free" soap for a year, pots and pans, TV's etc... they are not "free".

John Vegas

Reaction score
Looking to put in a water softener here in the next month or so and wondering what questions I should be asking the people coming out to the house to help in my decision making. Are there any "red flag" answers that I should be on the look out for etc? I've gotten some info on brands from a few of the businesses at home shows, but haven't had anyone out yet to test our water and give us recommendations.
Thanks.

It maybe unorthodox, but I would seriously consider purchasing one at Costco. With their return policy, if there is an issue, you could always return it if the warranty service work is not acceptable. This all depends on the softener meeting sizing requirments, etc. They are also self contained, which is not really that great, but practically it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Good luck, JS

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks