Softener/treatment system guidance

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by llavey, Feb 6, 2012.

1. llavey

llavey New Member

Hello,

I am requesting some guidance for a computer-less friend. If you need additional information to help me I'll do my best, here is what I know...

He has a cabin in northern WI and is looking for information on what to do to prevent the rust stains that he is getting on his fixtures. the well is 1 year old. Water does not have any oder, Water usage is very low. Only one person and I don't think he is doing any laundry there yet. Any recomendations should be based on on low - medium use for two adults. His water tested as follows:

pH 6.6
    Hardness 2.0
    Iron 1.4
    Nitrogen 1.0

no softener, or filters of any kind are currently installed.

Thanks for your ideas and recommendations.
    Link
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

I would suggest a backwashed AN filter which would add 2-4 gpg of hardness to the 2 gpg and then a softener to remove the hardness and iron. The AN filter may remove some iron.

By nitrogen I think you mean nitrate or nitrite. If it is nitrite that is serious and it should be removed because the EPA MCL is 1 ppm and 10 ppm for nitrate with the combination of the two not to exceed 10 ppm. At least that is what it used to be.

He should have a Coliform bacteria test.
  3. llavey

llavey New Member

Gary,

Thank you. I assume you are correct about the nitrate, I'll confirm his test results and do a little more research before continuing my request for assistance.