Softener resets and reloads about every three days

Users who are viewing this thread

PrestonLawing

Reaction score
I have an old house (1886) and an old Marlo DUA-940 softerner.

IT has been no trouble for the past 15 years, might be twice that old.

It now resets, empties, and refills about every three days.

Wouldn't have noticed it but the water bill doubled on the last invoice.

I never had a manual for it, and just kept putting in salt when it was low (every six weeks).
Not sure if something changed, or it just gave up.

Time for a new one? Repair?

Advice?
Thanks for any help.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
30 years old... probably a Fleck valve. I think you got your moneys worth but... post a picture. If it is a Fleck valve (Non Proprietary) then it is probably repairable.

Reach4

Reaction score
Wouldn't have noticed it but the water bill doubled on the last invoice.
See if the gallons used doubled, or just the dollar amount.

One more thought... could they have gone to a longer billing period?

PrestonLawing

Reaction score
billing period remains the same.
Amount of water almost doubled for same time period.
Winter in MN, so we aren't watering the lawn or washing cars.....
photos enclosed...

Thanks for great questions and any help.
PBL WaterSoftener1.JPG
PBL WaterSoftener2.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
That looks like a 255/460i Autotrol. The 440 was the mechanical timer. http://www.softenerparts.com/Autotrol_Osmonics_Model_255_s/35.htm has info including a link to a manual.

If you wanted to confirm that the problem is the softener regenerating too often, you could sprinkle some table salt grains into the sink where the backwash water goes. Or put a little container under there to collect some water if there is a regen. A failure where the softener regenerates too often seems, to me, a somewhat unlikely occurrence. Not that it could not happen.

There can be other reasons for an increase in water use. Many meters have a more sensitive indicator that lets you know if water is being drawn. If that moves on yours when you don't think you are using water, there could be a pipe leak. There could be a leaky toilet flapper. And so forth.

If you replace that softener, and the resin may be shot due to your years of chlorinated water anyway, note that Fleck softeners have the input on the right when facing the unit vs being on the left for Autotrol/Performa.

Bannerman

Reaction score
While it is not regenerating, check the softener's drain line to see if it is passing water continuously to the sewer/septic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks