Softener question

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by looksharp, Apr 29, 2012.

1. looksharp

looksharp New Member

We closed on our house and it has a whole house water softener. The couple who used to own it used a bottled water system for drinking and cooking and of course we have kids and that could get expensive. So my question is.... should I run a dedicated line to the sinks or is there a under the counter filter that would remove the salt?
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Unless you or someone in the house has a medical condition that calls for a sodium free diet, there is not enough salt in conditioned water to worry about but, you should have the water tested to make sure that there is not anything else in the water that could be harmful.
  3. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

A standard resverse osmosis will remove 96-96 % of the sodium from your water. Depending on hardness, the amount of sodium added can be negligible compared to what you get even from a low sodium diet. An RO will give you bottled quality water for a very low cost per gallon. http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/ , these guys have been great for many years.