Softener Near Load Center NEC

Users who are viewing this thread

jwith

Reaction score
I currently have a Hague water softener installed below my electrical panel. The unit was sandwiched between a large well pressure tank and the electrical panel, but only sat about 3' high. I'm replacing it with a 10x54" Clack controlled system. To simplify the plumbing I'd like to install it, and a 20" filer, in the same place as the older one.

The electrical panel is about 19" from the pressure tank and 14" from the back wall. This will be a tight fit, but should be accessible. See diagram below.

I would like to make sure this is up to code. I know my local codes may be different, but I was wondering what the NEC/NFPA 70 standards require for the spacing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Pretty sure you need 36" out and 30" wide. Roughly, you need enough space for a refrigerator. I doubt your local code will be more lenient.

jwith

Reaction score
Thanks - I think you're right. I'm not going to get 30" because of the well tank, which I have no intention of moving, since the plumbing comes up through the slab. I will move the softener away from the panel though.

Mikey

Reaction score
I guessed right. If you Google "panelboard clearance NEC" you'll find over 33,000 references. A really good summary is at:

http://ecmweb.com/code-basics/determining-working-clearances

The meat:

"Sec. 110-26 of the National Electrical Code (NEC): [requires] 1) at least a 3-ft clearance in front of all electrical equipment; 2) a 30 in.-wide working space in front of equipment operating at 600V or less; and 3) minimum headroom clearance of 6 ft or the height of the equipment, whichever is greater."

I've got that same tank in my wellhouse. It is movable (assuming there's space to move it into) if you really need to move it, but I'd hedge my bets and just have a plan for moving it if an inspector gets picky. Even the plumbing-in-the-floor can be easily accomodated with a little creativity.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think this would be permitted:

Attachments

• img_4.png
    img_4.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 463

Mikey

Reaction score
Probably. I'd prefer the working space to be centered on the panel, although the spec just says "...the width of the equipment or 30", whichever is greater." In all cases, the work space must permit at least a 90° opening of equipment doors or hinged panels, but I've seen some panels that have doors that can only be removed by opening beyond 90°. Use common sense as a last resort.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks