Softener hookup issue - 1" bypass, 3/4" Main

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by adawg, Oct 22, 2010.

1. adawg

adawg New Member

Hi, I am planning to replace my existing softener tomorrow. I ordered the replacement online and talked with the sales rep. I told him what I have, and he sold me a nice system.
    Here is the issue - I have 3/4" plumbing throughout the house, but he sent me a 1" bypass for the softener. Is that a problem? Is there a safe, effective way to upsize to 1" going in the softener and coming out before getting sized back to 3/4?

If the answer is send it back and start over, I will. But if I can make it work I'd sure like to.

Many thanks for any advice!
  2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Depending on the bypass that you have with the new system, all that you might need are 2 1"X3/4" bushings.. put the bushings into the bypass if it is a fleck bypass.. if it is the plastic with yoke then use 2 1"X3/4" reducers.

Life is then good.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If the two softeners are the same brand, the old bypass may attach right to the new softener, otherwise get two 1 x3/4 couplings, reducers, or elbows depending on what you need to make it work.