Softener Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Sawset

Reaction score
A couple of things:
1)I currently have my h20 softener draining into a sump, where it is being pumped up and into the septic drain. It is about the only thing connected to that pump at this point other than the basement floor drain.
2) I would like to reroute the h20 softener to the 3" main drain line directly. There is a stub installed for a future island drain, and am contemplating using that.

Are there potential problems with the way I have it laid out. Or is there an easier way, such as eliminating the island venting and replacing with an AAV vent. Looking for ideas. I'd like to get the softener away from the sump pump if possible to avoid any flooding issues from a failed pump.

5proposed-sketch.jpg 3profile.jpg 4ceiling.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can do what you propose.
You might find the water flowing into the sink island drain disturbing in the middle of the night.

Sawset

Reaction score
I've had some time to look at alternatives, for a while lately, and a quite a bit more so now.

What I'm finding is:
1) draining to the septic is allowed, but possibly disagreeable for various reasons. I didn't mention that there is an iron filter system draining as well. It may be a good idea to get it away from there, but sending it outside in freezing weather could be an issue. There are ways to get around the freeze issue (high loop where it exits the house and oversize the pipe there), but that has issues with potential failure (freeze) also. A combination of draining outside, and , teeing off to the sump or other drain could be an option. In that case if there is a freeze up, the second route would be to an inside drain.

2) island drain and AAV - hard piping is the right way to go, AAV if there is no alternative. If I can use the sump vent to tie into as cacher_chick indicates as a possibility then forget the AAV and keep the island drain as a possibility knowing there would be drainage noise coming from under the island at 2AM

3) run a line to the laundry drain (30ft away, possible unobstructed access)

I remember the septic pumping service mentioning something a few years ago. I can't remember exactly, but something like - When he got to the bottom of the tank he said " I see some sediment, or some kind of film that doesn't look right. Do you by any chance have a drain allowing chemicals to enter the system (he spied my beehives in the distance) or possibly wax from those hives." The answer was no, and I know that, but have wondered what he meant by that ever since. The iron filter does drain to the septic.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think one of us misunderstood.

I was referring to teeing into the island sink drain, which would be done above the sink's trap. That would be an approved installation.

johnmeto

Reaction score
he drain hose that comes from the water softener needs to terminate in a manner that won't create a potential cross-connection

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check your local codes. Here in Ct it is a violation to discharge into the septic, it must go into a dedicated dry well. Not a big deal until you sell the house and have to do it right.

Sawset

Reaction score
craigpump
What are the prefered methods that you have seen for a dry well in Ct. A look up of average frost depths for the area make it similar to Wisconsin. The issues of freezing would be similar. I know here that the incoming well line, and outgoing septic line are both below frost level. Is it common to do the same for an additional dry well? I would think it would. Or is there an easier way that is reliable. Right now I can't think of what that would be. Seems a guy could make it simple or complicated, both would work for better or worse - if it's a violation in Ct, then what is the most common setup.

Reach4

Reaction score
You may find this article from the Uninversity of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, of interest: http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr-ap/watershed/Pages/GWSofteners.aspx
Draining the water softener to the septic is normal in Wisconsin.

http://www.co.kewaunee.wi.gov/docview.asp?docid=15454&locid=192 says
Research indicates that salts from softener regeneration waters should not harm the septic system. However, it is permissible to divert waste water to surface drainage rather than allowing it to go into the septic tank.​

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
In Ct licensed septic installers can do a dedicated dry well for $1250-1500. I don't really know what's involved in their construction because we don't do water treatment installation or service, but they have to have some type of galley or gravel filled pit with the bottom below frost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks