Softener drain lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Southpw

Reaction score
Good morning. I recently purchased a water softener since the existing one was disconnected when we bought our house 2 years ago and it was made in 1989.
The previous softener drain ran through a pipe the builder had supplied but it goes up to the ceiling, across the basement and back down to softener location.
There is a rough-in for a toilet right where the softener is located(beside the main water line coming into house).
Can this drain be used? Will I not get sewer gas coming into my basement?
My softener has 2 drain lines so the existing pre-plumbed tube wont work.
Thanks for any guidance. The rest of the plumbing is easy as I have redone my kitchen and bathrooms but this drain situation is confusing since it will require a "gap"
Brad

Attachments

• 20170102_100043.jpg
    20170102_100043.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 20170102_100033.jpg
    20170102_100033.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 162

Southpw

Reaction score
I took the cover off and can hear alot of air flow. Could I attach a p-trap to this and have my softener lines suspended over the p trap?

Attachments

• 20170102_113143.jpg
    20170102_113143.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 164

Reach4

Reaction score
That does not look like a USA toilet flange. What are the dimensions? I wonder if that is some kind of cleanout or inspection port for a radon system.

Southpw

Reaction score
It is a 4" pipe. Cover is about 4.75"
You may be correct, it does not look like an ordinary toilet flange that has been covered. This is the only piece of plumbing in the floor here. I would assume any rough in done during the house build would have roughed in a toilet and sink at the very least.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I expect that is a clean-out in-case your sewer line ever needs to be snaked. When a basement washroom is roughed-in, the toilet connection would have a flange pre-installed and there would be a 1.5" or 2" drain for a sink would also typically be located nearby. The sink drain pipe will usually also extend through the concrete floor.

Any drain connection will require a trap to prevent sewer gas from entering the occupied space.

A drain for a softener would require an air gap above the trap to physically separate the softener drain from the sewer line. This is to prevent cross contamination of your potable water from sewage in case the drain should ever back-up. When the two are separate, there is less potential for contaminated water to enter the softener drain line which remains potable.

The softener drain will be under pressure so if maybe drained over-head if necessary. I suspect the second drain you mention is on the side of the brine tank. Most brine tanks incorporate a safety float and valve to prevent overflow. Unless the softener will be located in a finished area, most often, the brine tank overflow drain connection will not have a drain line connected.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks