Softener /Carbon filter sizing help

Users who are viewing this thread

superslow

Reaction score
I have been reading the forum for a while and thought that I had made a decision on what softener and carbon filter to get for my home. The more that I keep reading, the more confused I have become. I would like to buy units that would work with a future remodel and addition also. I plan to do the install myself and buy the units online. The basic info is 4 people ( 2 adults, 2 kids) , 1 in main into home, 18gpg, 2 baths. I would like to consider sizing it to work with the possibility of adding 2 more adults and a 3rd bath with multiple shower heads. The sizing charts lead me to think the 40k size would be appropriate now, or 64k with the future possibilities. I was thinking of a 64k Fleck 7000 sxt softener with a 2 cubic foot Fleck 7000 backwashing carbon filter. Would this be a bad idea to oversize that much? Would I run into problems? Would you have any suggestions on a better combo? Thanks for your help. -Ryan

superslow

Reaction score
Sounds like I am on the right track. I do have a couple of other questions too. I need to build a small shed to house the units. Right now, it is the only practical place for them. How much space would the system take up, what size should the shed be. Also I need to plumb a drain line to my septic system. It will be very close, can both units be plumbed into one drain line, what size should the drain line be?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
3/4" drain line is recommended, PVC is fine.

I would make the shed 50" Wide, 65" tall, and 24" deep. This will leave you a little room to service the units in the future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks