Soft Copper in a Wall Cavity

Users who are viewing this thread

DTAZ

Reaction score
As I understand it, code allows soft copper to be run inside a wall cavity for water lines. I am installing a long a 24' run of 3/4" hot and cold lines to a bathroom remodel. The lines need to travel from a crawl space, then inside a preexisting exterior wall and finally through a brick wall into the bathroom space. The lines need to make one 90º bend inside the preexisting wall. I would rather not notch an entire wall of studs and instead prefer to auger holes for the pipe. Rigid pipe will be difficult to maneuver (but maybe not impossible in a couple of 10' joints). While the soft copper won't be as pretty, I feel like there is less of a structural compromise since the exterior wall is 2x4 sheathed with OSB behind brick. Are there arguments against soft copper? Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
How will you make that 90º bend inside the preexisting wall?

1/2 copper (which is 5/8 od) should be big enough for most.

DTAZ

Reaction score
I'll sweat the 90º. Will 1/2" supply a sink, toilet and shower along with an outside spigot? That's seems under sized to me.

Reach4

Reaction score
Given that you have the access, you could also use 3/4 PEX for less money. It is smaller inside than 3/4 copper and bigger than 1/2 inch copper.

You should supply the bathroom with softened water, and you should use unsoftened water for the outside spigot.

DTAZ

Reaction score
I already committed to copper for the rest of the system and I've heard enough horror stories about PEX that I am hesitant. Moreover, I have the tools for copper and not for PEX. The wall cavity will be closed in behind drywall.

So, I take it from your answer that there is no prohibition or rational argument against soft copper? The water will absolutely be softened and filtered. I've got a 190K BTU on demand WH going in so I need to make sure that thing is protected.

Attachments

• 4th St Plumbing .jpg
    4th St Plumbing .jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,293

Reach4

Reaction score
I already committed to copper for the rest of the system and I've heard enough horror stories about PEX that I am hesitant. Moreover, I have the tools for copper and not for PEX. The wall cavity will be closed in behind drywall.
I consider cost considerations to be rational.

Don't water the lawn with softened water.

DTAZ

Reaction score
Haha! Yes, cost considerations are rational. However, I still want copper. Yes, no soft water on the plants.

Reach4

Reaction score
Copper is good. You can solder, and you can use compression fittings. You can also bend, and maybe avoid an elbow if you have the space at the corner. There are probably suggested bend radius minimums.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would look hard at any possibility that the piping can come up from the crawlspace closer to where the fixtures are going to be. You can pipe the bath with 1/2", but an outdoor spigot should be piped in seperately.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks