Soffit over shower?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Bosun, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Bosun

Bosun New Member

Hi--I'm renovating a bath--need to add lighting and fan--anyone done a soffit over the shower/tub combo for this? Bath runs perpendicular to outside wall for venting--I can just bend the ducting a bit to fit can lighting, I guess. Thinking of a Panasonic fan--how deep (tall) will the soffit need to be?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2010
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

soffit

Normally the soffit drops down to a point 7' above the floor, making it 12" high.
  3. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

I have 7' ceilings on the second floor of our cape and the upstairs bath has a 6" soffit = 6'6" from floor to soffit and that is fine unless you are very tall.
  4. Bosun

Bosun New Member

I'm pretty tall

I'll have to measure, but I'm not sure I can give up a whole foot. I'm 6'3", which is a shorty in my family.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

soffit

That is the common dimension. Make yours whatever fits.
  6. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Panasonic Fans

Most of the Panasonic fans can also be installed on the wall if your ceiling height is limited.

Last time I checked I think they have one the sits inside a 6-8" opening but most are around 10".

Be careful how it hooks up to be HVAC vent as the HVAV elbow may steal some room from your light.
  7. Howard Emerson

Howard Emerson I teach guitar:You call that a job?

Bosun,
    Why don't you get a combination light/fan so that you don't have to go around 'can' lighting?

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=100527 Just for an example. Well short of the height restrictions you may have.

HE