Soaked wall - help

Users who are viewing this thread

mfassing

Reaction score
Soaked wall - help -- FIXED- THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

My husband just noticed that the wall paper in our family room (directly under our bathroom) is peeling and the wall is soaked. Apparently there is also a small amount of mold that has formed. This is our first home, so we aren't sure what steps to take next. Help! :eek:

undefined We've fixed the leaking pipe. Thank your for your suggestions JIMBO. :)

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Generally, wallboard which is soaked is permanently damaged and must be replaced. I will leave you to get further expert opinions on that. If it was the ceiling, I would say open it up immediately to find the leak. Opening the wall will not disclose the nature of the leak if it is coming from the bathroom above.

If we first assume that the leak is not from a main water pipe ( else we would see much more water), then it is either from some portion of a lav or shower faucet when turned on , or from a drain. If you remove the crome trim things from the shower faucets, using a flashlight you can look inside the tub wall and see if something is leaking. Ditto for shower head.

If nothing is discovered re: faucets, then it may be the tub drain or the connection of the lav trap arm within the wall.

Lastly, of course, it could be the toilet flange.

Ultimately, it may still be required to open the wall and/or ceiling to find the leak.

A five gallon bucket poured carefully into the tub, then the lav can help to determine if it is water supply or drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks