So if not Jacuzzi toilets then what for a DIY? Help requested

Users who are viewing this thread

rmatth

Reaction score
So if not Jacuzzi toilets (Era & Maxima) from a big box store then what for a DIY? I'm not reading anything here that gives Am Std or Kohler particularly high marks either. The Jacuzzis are $200 or less each.

I am in the middle of a remodel - replacing 3 bathroom toilets - Toto sounds like great quality, flushing action, dependability, and cleanliness but prices I'm seeing for the Totos like a Drake tend to be around $300+ each.

Are there any other readily available manufacturers that offer above average quality, dependability, flushing, and cleanliness at a more affordable price?

California ratings tell you about flushing ability but nothing about quality, dependability, cleanliness, or cost.

Thank you

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you read very much on this forum, you will learn that the vast majority of us that frequent this place are advocates of Toto. Not a big box item, but seems to be by far the brand with the best quality control and best overall performance. You can locate a Toto dealer on the Toto website. Sorry, I don't have that in my memory bank, but you can use a search engine and find it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Terry has a real-world evaluation of many toilets on his homepage. See the box at the top of the screen. The hassle with a lot of the toilets out there is one, quality control is poor on many, and two, they didn't spend much time on engineering, only looks. The adage of beauty is only skin deep should be considered here...you often get what you pay for, but not always! Depending on where you live, you may be able to get a rebate from the utility company for a new low-flow toilet, so that can help.

rmatth

Reaction score
Thank you

Gary thank you for the reply.

I can tell that Toto has a lot of fans and not just at this site. An issue for me is the nearest Toto dealer is 30 miles one way from my home. I was hoping there might be another manufacturer/model that offered a comparable quality product with a lower price and be closer to my home.

Micp879

Reaction score
If you were to simplify things, there are several good toilets available on the market. American Standard has the Champion and Cadet 3, Kohler has the Cimarron, Mansfield has the Maverick, and Toto has the Drake (as well as some others), just to name a few. That being said, alot of those toilets have their own unique issues. The American Standard toilets are notorious for quality control issues, as many people have reported having to return it at least once to get one that wasn't defective. The Kohler Cimarron has a reputation for having poor bowl wash, resulting in the need for frequent cleaning. The general consensus on this board is that the Toto's dont have those issues. The quality control tends to be good, and their toilets seem to have adequate bowl wash without sacrificing the powerful flush. Yes they can tend to be expensive, and you can't buy them at a typical big box store. However many pros around here would rather pay the extra money or drive the extra hour since it often means less headaches or repair jobs during the life of the toilet. If you were to buy any of the aforementioned non-Toto toilets, you may very well be happy, and be glad you saved the money. Me personally, I have 3 Mansfield Mavericks in my house, and I love them. Best toilets I have ever owned. Plus they are a decent price, and available at one of the big box stores. However, others may not be as lucky or pleased. The consensus around here seems to be that there is just as good of a chance that you will be making at least one return trip, or spending the afternoon on the phone with the manufacturers customer service department. The choice, and risk, is up to you.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You only have to travel 30 miles to your Toto dealer? Mine is 150 miles and over a mountain pass. But ya know, I don't figure on buying too many more toilets, so I think the trip was worth it. BTW, my dealer is Terry Love:D

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
BTW, my dealer is Terry Love:D

Yes A very smart man. One of my better customers.

Jamie just brought in a Cadet 3 flapper that has the "bubbling rubber seal" problem. He had installed a "Cadet in a Box" for his High School friend. Lasted less then six months.

attachment.php

I think Ian Gills replaced his Cadet flapper right away too.

Which reminded Jamie of a customer in Newport Shores with a Pegasus toilet. That flapper had bubbled too, and needed replacement. Pegasus wasn't answering the phone, and HD didn't have the part.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmatth

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone

It is looking more and more like a Toto Drake CST744SL or
Ultramax MS854114SL

Went back to the big box today and actually found someone in plumbing to talk with. They sell a bunch of Jacuzzis becasue of price but they also have the most returns. Dependability has improved but still below average.

Also called the nearest Toto Dealer and had a very good discussion - They sell other brands but by far Toto is their largest volume and plumbers' favorite brand.

Thanks for everyone's help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
jacuzzi

I doubt that Jacuzzi actually makes their toilets. They began as a plastic whirlpool tub manufacturer and I'll bet that is what they still are.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Although the companies and the stores will deny it with their hand on the bible.....there are widespread and recurring reports on this and other forums that the incidence of out-of-box defects on toilets from the big stores is something not to be ignored. They do sell some toilets which are good performers...Cadet 3, Cimarron, they also sell some dogs....lamosa, Glacier Bay, Jacuzzi, "toilet in a box", etc. You pay your money and take your chances.

Reaction score
Website
www.obamatheplumber.com
Jacuzzi was being made by Eljer at one time.
I'm not sure where they get their stuff now.
Eljer was bought by the same consolidator that owns Crane and American Standard.

Quality on American Standard and Kohler is not all that great.
I still have too many returns, even on simple stuff like seats.

Sometimes just labeling the box to let you know whether it's a round or an elongated bowl is too hard for their inspectors to get right before it leaves the plant.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Buy cheap, get cheap. The old adage, "You get what you pay for." really holds true. You know, the basic principal of toilets is pretty basic and hasn't changed much over the years. So what makes some better than others and cost more? The obvious answer is the care taken in design, materials, and quality control. It's the same reason a BMW costs more than a Yugo.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I doubt that Jacuzzi actually makes their toilets. They began as a plastic whirlpool tub manufacturer and I'll bet that is what they still are.

I'm pretty sure that Jacuzzi Toilets are made at the Cheapsheit Pottery & Crockery Works in Wenzhou, China.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks