So has Amer Standard fixed it's problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

jzibton

Reaction score
I was just about to install an Amer Standard Champion 4 toilet on my brand new tile floor. Figured I should test for a wobble before using the wax ring and sure enough it didn't sit flush to the floor. Returned and tried a second one. That was worse then the first. (floor appears to be fine, second one also wobbles on flat concrete)

That's when I went on line a found this site. Now after reading all the negative posts I'm a bit concerned about quality of Amer Standard. Last couple posts have said the Champion 4 is a major improvement but not many comments after that.

Have they fixed their problems with this new unit?

And, a general toilet question -
I figure I have to shim the bowl to get rid of the wobble. Is this normal? If I went with the Toto, do they wobble?

TIA for any info!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know why you would want the Champion.
One of the hardest toilets I've ever installed.

You floor may not be flat.
Some toilets, like the Toto, are made well.

jack.allwardt

Reaction score
AS Champion model leaking flush valve

HELP! I too, have experienced a leaky flush valve. The red ring/gasket had a bubble along one edge and I replaced the red ring, no help. I noted at the OSH (Orchard Supply and Hardware) store here in California has a similiar flush ass'y for the Mansfield toilet. Will it work/fit? Does any after-market parts supplier have a replacement valve? I have 2 units, both installed early 2005, one just started leaking (or I just noticed..) about a month ago. Fiddled with the ring, etc. sealed for a flush or two. Thank heavens we have a fixed water bill (no metering).

Anyone got any good ideas--dynamite excepted--to fix these things? I really did get rid of my plunger and I can live with the clunk...but the noise of the constantly filling tank is disturbing.

Thanks!
Jack.allwardt@verizon.net

Sundar Raghavan

Reaction score
How do I remove the old flush tower?

I have read through all the horror stories on flushing and leaks. I am sick to my stomach that I did not do a simple Google search before I bought this toilet. Yet, here I am. Before giving up, I thought I would try one last attempt.

I have a replacement flush that I would like to install. I am not able to remove the old one. Any ideas.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
To replace the flush valve you first need to empty the tank of all the water. I also shop vac the water out. Next you need to remove the tank from the bowl undoing the tank to bowl bolts. Once the tank is off you will see some type of gasket (most of them are gray), if the gasket looks bad i would replace it because it could be the cause of your leak, if it looks good remove the gasket and there will be a large nut on the bottom side of the flush valve. You will need to have a large wrench of some type like really large channel locks. I have cut off the nut in the past if it is brass so i would not break the bowl but newer ones are plastic. Then just read the directions to install the new one. If you can take it apart you will be able to put it back together with no sweat. Good Luck with everything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks