Smooth sink handle removal

Users who are viewing this thread

transporterjr

Reaction score
I have a 2-handle kitchen sink faucet, Grohe, installed 14 years ago. it is leaking slightly and I thought I would pull the valve to see if I can match faucet washer (if it has them).

My problem is that the handles are smooth chrome and there are no screws anywhere, not even a little set screw at the handle base. There is a line between the base of handle and an identical diameter cylinder extending into the faucet which makes it looks possible that these handles were screwed on.:confused: However, I cannot unscrew them (clockwise or counter-clockwise) and I am afraid to use too much force, unless I know this is the right approach.

Any ideas? And will I be able to get any parts without any modle number?

John

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I have a 2-handle kitchen sink faucet, Grohe, installed 14 years ago. it is leaking slightly and I thought I would pull the valve to see if I can match faucet washer (if it has them).

My problem is that the handles are smooth chrome and there are no screws anywhere, not even a little set screw at the handle base. There is a line between the base of handle and an identical diameter cylinder extending into the faucet which makes it looks possible that these handles were screwed on.:confused: However, I cannot unscrew them (clockwise or counter-clockwise) and I am afraid to use too much force, unless I know this is the right approach.

Any ideas? And will I be able to get any parts without any modle number?

John

This is one of those situations where a Picture's worth a thousand words.

Is there a cap that you can pry up anywhere?

transporterjr

Reaction score
No, there's no cap. You are right about the picture, I'll try and take a picture tonight and post it then.

John

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If there is no place where a set screw is hidden then it will / should twist apart...it should have been put together with some silicone grease when installed but I am almost sure it wasn't because very few plumbers install them with taking it apart 14 years later in mind which is to bad for every one...

transporterjr

Reaction score
Here is the picture of the faucet, you can just see the "ring" going around the base of the handle IMG_1704.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks