Smelly water and black stuff comes through the faucet every couple of months

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by beechumley, Feb 23, 2010.

1. beechumley

beechumley New Member

Good Day,
    Long time reader first time poster. In my masterbath I have his and her sinks and I get a slight oder from the water and every once in awhile I will get a black slime. The oder is not strong and goes away after running the water for few seconds. A few years ago I installed a filter on one sink and that seems to be the worst offender for smell and slime today. I clean the areators every couple of weeks and the faucets are Moen. Anybody have any ideas what this black slime is? Oh yeah I am on city water.
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

That black slime is usually an indicator of bacterial iron. The filter you have under the sink is a great place for it to grow. The only way to eliminate it is with some sort of chlorine injector.
  3. beechumley

beechumley New Member

Peter,
    Thanks for the reply. Could I just put some chlorine in my water lines and flush it out because those injector things looked pretty expensive.
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

You can, but it will come back
  5. olivia751

olivia751 New Member

Hello beechumley,

You can use some chlorine in the water. But after few months its come back again. This is very necessary that you clean the sink mostly every three or four week.

Regards,
    Olivia

Sewer Line Cleaning