smelly washing machine

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by handsrusinkc, Dec 8, 2005.

1. handsrusinkc

handsrusinkc New Member

I just had my washing machine replaced and I now have a sewer gas problem in my laundry room.

I believe that my old washer had something that sealed the space around the hose that goes into the drain in the wall.

My new drain is just a tube sitting in the (much bigger) drain hole in the wall, just next to the hot and cold water hookups.

I wasn't sure if this was supposed to have a trap in the drain, but it doesn't seem as though there is one. I put a coat-hanger in there and it goes the whole length of a straightened out hanger.

Is there supposed to be a trap in this drain? If so, what should I do?
    If not, how do I seal this hole?
  2. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

From the washing machine box your sanitary line should drop at least 24" to the trap. Check the trap out again, maybe it's just gunked up.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

If you do not have a trap you need to have a plumber come and install one or do it your self if you know how. You could try and put 2 cups of bleach down the drain and let it sit over night if it is just a rancid trap(unlikly), but this will not help if there is no trap.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2005