Smelly Powder Room

Users who are viewing this thread

chumbley

Reaction score
I have been replacing all 4 toilets in my house with Drake II's. The first two were done about a year ago, no issues. The 3rd one is causing me fits.

My house was plumbed with the thick all-PVC flanges that sit just above the floor. This total height was too much for the Toto (it rocked during a dry fit test), so I replaced the flanges. I used the kind with the stainless ring, and ensured they were resting on the floor (rather than just above it as they had been). I used a standard wax ring.

No problem with any of this so far. I've done a bit of PVC work before, and have set a few toilets.

After this, the powder room smells of sewer. So I figure I messed up the wax ring.
-Pull the toilet.
-Ring looks fine. Centered on the flange, compressed evenly all around. Looks fine.
-Clean flange and underside of toilet (nothing there - all wax stuck to flange)
-Install new wax ring
-Install toilet

Same smell

-Repeat process. Again ring looked fine.
-Clean and repeat.

Same smell.

Ideas? My next step is to remove the toilet, plug the line and see if the smell goes away.

I see no signs of leaking from anywhere at anytime (I can see the plumbing from the basement) during all of this. Toilet works fine. Smells bad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks