smell sewer leak 2 months ago

Users who are viewing this thread

sam.

Reaction score
Is it possible to have sewer gas smell from a bad sewer leak that water keeps saturating the leak area ( it has never dried ) or is it something else? Is there someone I call who has the sewer gas detector ( DEP, sewer/drain plumber, regular plumber ) who could tell me for sure?

Short version, neighbor water getting into my basement ( caused sewer to rot out and leak in numerous places ) still unresolved. New sewer is above ground. DEP put dye in my sink and I saw no leaks. I still have a bad smell in the basement. It is wet and metallic smelling and is worse with humidity. The washer trap issue as mentioned in a previous thread would smell in the washer drain not the basement? The smell is definitely the basement since it smells in the places my walls are open ( ongoing renovation ).

Thanks so much for this forum and the help.

Sam.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; neighbor water getting into my basement ( caused sewer to rot out and leak in numerous places ) still unresolved

who made that diagnosis? How do you know it is the "neighbor's water", and why would the neighbor's water rot your sewer, but the water you used not do it?

sam.

Reaction score
neighbors water

It is a commercial marble cutting business with 4-5 wet saws for slabs. He has pits for the water from the saws. There are no drains, absorption pits I think is the term. 2 lined with concrete but not water proofed, and the newest no lining and 2 ' from my property. I see water exiting his foundation, a path across my yard towards my back patio. My basement started drying out when we did a test and he turned off the water a few days... last a new outside sewer line was added to the house and new in the pit in the last 20 years. I still do not know for sure. I wanted to do a dye test from his pit but he is not interested because he is moving in a couple of months.

I have no idea what to do. There was sewer leaking in my basement for however long that is never drying out. I can add clorox but it is like a bandaid. Someone is giving me a price on a septic pit for the back yard because it can hold the water as opposed to a french drain. There is no where for the water to drain naturally without going up so it will not work. I was thinking of a pump as another alternative.

For immediately I just want to figure out if I am being poisoned with a large amount of sewer gas. I could buy a meter but I may not use it correctly. Would rather someone who knows what they are doing and can possibly offer solutions.

So background aside can sewer seepage continually getting wet cause sewer gas?

thanks

Sam.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks