Smell in the bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

s3kings

Reaction score
I have a 2.5 bath house and the 2nd story masterbath has a sewer smell that is very bad. I went to the top of the roof and I have 1 vent pipe on the top of my house and I stuck a long stick down it and it is clear all the way down to the tee. I don't know what to do and how to stop the smell in the masterbath. All the other bathrooms are fine. We have a basement where all the pipes exit the house and I don't see any leaks anywhere in the house. I need help, Can't sleep it is kinda crappy. lol lol

Thanks
Steve

BeachBum

Reaction score
My very unprofessional opinion. I learned along time ago to check the simple things first. If by chance there is a fixture in the bathroom that is rarely used it is possible that the water level in the P-trap may have dropped enough through evaporation or a very slow leak to allow sewer gasses to get by. It's kind of unlikely but you never know. Run water at each of your fixtures to make sure there is a good water seal in each of the traps. If the problem persists, then try sealing all the drain openings in the sinks, tub etc, with tape and plastic, don't forget the overflows. If the problem persists, then the smell may not be coming from the drains but someplace else, broken vent line in a wall? A lot of times problem solving is comes down to finding out what it isn't before you can find out what it is.

Good luck,

Kurt

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
does the toilet wiggle?

you may need a new wax ring under toilet, i also like beach boy,s suggestions!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks