smell from drains?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cdog, Sep 9, 2005.

1. cdog

cdog New Member

I recently noticed a very faint smell coming from the drains in my house (bathroom sinks and kitchen sink). It's really hard to describe - kind of smells like dirt. Reminds me how my crawl space smells when I go down there.

The appearance of this smell seems to coincide with the installation of a new toilet... Does anyone know what might cause this?

Thanks,

C
  2. Is there any evidence of gurgling or "sounds" coming from the two drains you mention?
  3. cdog

cdog New Member

Nope. No gurgling. It's a pretty faint smell - I only smell it when I'm right over the sink... I may just be paranoid... but the fact that I've noticed this at the same time we put in a new toilet made me suspicious.

C
  4. There is a slight possibility that the wax ring didn't seal correctly on the toilet and if that sink is nearby that new toilet was set, you could be smelling that. Check the aerators and clean them, sometimes they can create smells similar to drain smells.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

On the sinks, the overflow tube can become smelly, too.