small waterproof doors?

Users who are viewing this thread

SuperSewist

Reaction score
I have a new crazy idea. Glass shower doors seal watertight, right? So if that method were used on a small door, say, like a cabinet door, that would be watertight also, right?

Where I'm going with this is to build a cabinet/shelf that opens into the left (back) wall of an alcove tub surround. Currently I have a 60" RH tub alcove with a 15" wide and 36" deep cabinet to the right. I'd like to deconstruct the whole thing and move the cabinet to the left (exterior wall) so that I can have a second shower head on the back. Plumber says "No Plumbing On Exterior Wall". The new tub will be a not-too-fancy air or jet soaker whirlpool, still in the deciding stage on that. But, I *could go with a 66" tub, there is enough room. but then the cabinet will be only 12" wide. It's bad enough at 15" to get to the back. So I thought, how could I make it so the doors open to the tub? I think I would make it so that about 20" would still open to the front with regular doors, and then just at the top, the back 16" would open to the tub with a waterproof door. I love an adventure, especially if it is clever :D I'm thinking it would be unlikely that it would get opened when the shower was running. Mostly it would be stuff that doesn't get used so often, like the vaporizer and hot rollers.

Open to ideas; hate to loose any storage space. I'll post this over to johnbridge.com too and see what the tile guys (& gals) come up with.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually, shower doors do not "seal" watertight. The water just runs down the glass door and into the track at the bottom and then it drains into the tub or shower pan. The edges overlap and since the water is not under real pressure, it doesn't escape around them.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Many things are "rain-tight" . An example is the cover of a circuit breaker panel mounted outside. They are not gasketed. They have flanges designed similar to the shower door situation, so that rain water drains around the door, and cannot leak in. The only catch with a sliding door like a shower is that the overlap must be in the right direction. If you have shower heads shooting from all directions, there is a potential for leaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks