Small job turned big.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Giles, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Giles

Giles Retired tool & Die and Mechanic

Just thought I would share something I was surprised to find. I bought two new faucets for my double vanity. With them came the drain down tube with stopper. After installing the faucets, I proceeded to change the drains and found that someone had used "plumbers putty" all over the threads and the plastic seal rings. I had to use large pliers on all six nuts all the way off.
    Had to make a special trip to town for new "P" Traps an associated parts.
    You never know what you will find on even the simplest jobs!
  2. ilya

ilya In the Trades

There used to be a saying-"Don't start a plumbing job after the hardware store's closed!"
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

now you have a little taste of what we plumbers have to deal with
  4. Giles

Giles Retired tool & Die and Mechanic

I might add, that not nearly as aggravating, they had about ten rounds of Teflon tape all over the threads and ferrules of all compression copper fittings.
  5. Cookie

Cookie .

I can beat that Cass. lol. when my husband past away on the day of his funeral my neighbor came over, and when I opened the door, she shoved a crock pot at me, knocking me down on the stairs saying, " NOW YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL" and left, LOL.

I sat there holding a crock pot wondering who and what that was the sam hell about.

I would do the faucets and be grateful. :)

Even though off the topic, my point is, you can't appreciate whatever, until, you are there experiencing it yourself.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

WE learn early how to deal with plumber's putty and silicone on drain fittings.