Small bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Badnailer

Reaction score
Would like to add a bathroom (toilet, lav and stall shower) What is the best and smallest configuration for same. Please detail code clearances for each fixture.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A shower stall must be a minimum of 30" square (and unless you are a child you will find this very restricting). A toilet needs a minimum of 15" either side of center. I think there's a minimum distance in front, too, but I don't know it. Most places want 24" in front of the sink, but that varies. You really need to check your local inspector, as that's what counts.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you install a 30" shower you can't put a door on it because if you drop the soap you have to exit the shower to pick it up.:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Shower

You are supposed to lift with your knees, not your back so you should be able to stoop down to pick up the soap, not bend over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a 30" shower stall in my basement bathroom. I will certainly concede the fact that it is a tight fit, but this bathroom is intended for the few times we have overnight guests and need a second bathroom. It is not for daily use. As HJ says, bend your knees not your back to pick up the soap. I have a Sterling glass door on the stall and it works very well. If you can figure out how to fit a larger stall in the space you have, by all means do so, but a 30" Lasco works.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The code says that the shower has to be 900 square inches. Most 32 x 32 showers do not have 900 sq. in. in. inside measurment. I don't think by code you can install anything smaller that a 36" rough opening shower.

Cookie

Reaction score
Duh, you get your wife to pick up the soap. My husband could never hold onto that soap, I never understood why.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks