Small Bathroom Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Maint Dog

Reaction score
1) I'm a DIY and could use some advise; I installed (approximately 15 sq. ft.) of 6 x 6 ceramic tiles on my shower ceiling over dry wall with painted stucco on it? I'm afraid that the tile will fall out or collect moisture.

I didn't tape the seams of my Hardibacker before installing 12 x 12 porcelain floor tiles on my shower walls. I used MAPEI Polymer-Modified Mortar for the walls and spread it on pretty thick and pushed it through the seams. Could I be looking at possible trouble down the road?

2) While in the basement I notice that 3" x 5" hole where the pan liner is showing through the sub floor, and there is a 1/2" lip along the shower curb were the sub floor is uneven. Should I fix this before laying down mortar and I didn't put in a pre-slope before installing the pan liner, do I need to fix this as well?!

3) I removed the copper lines and installed PEX lines in the shower, so far no leaks. I have high pressure in my neighbor hood would it be in my best interest to install a pressure reducing valve.

Not really sure about this procedure just what I have researched on the internet. I am so frustrated with this project, its difficult knowing what to do especially for a first timer.I'm not a expert subject matter so any advice would be helpful, thank you.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Your shower is a complete redo. Yeah, its frustrating, but you can finish it out, and it might last a couple months the way it is. Then your redoing it anyway.

It is a shame, because your tile work looks pretty good. Without any kind of waterproofing, and the issues with the liner, it'll leak like a sieve.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume you are talking about a 1st floor bathroom. Your #2 seems to imply that. So are you planning to put mortar under the pan? I never did that kind of stuff, but it would seem to me that putting a patch in place before applying the mortar would make sense.

I suggest you get a water pressure gauge for less that $15. You can get one that screws onto a garden hose thread. You can connect it outside, or to the water heater drain, or to a washing machine spigot. They are widely available. Many have a "lazy hand" or tattle tale hand to record the maximum pressure seen.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. Tile for shower ceiling is not the best choice, IMHO. Did you use modified thinset? Do you have proper ventilation in the bathroom at all times? You don't want a moisture build up in there.
2. Sub floor should be even and pre slopped.
3. Pressure reducer is recommended to ensure 50 to 75 psi inside the house.

Maint Dog

Reaction score
1) I've gut the shower gutted down to studs, and getting ready to redo. Before I get to far into it, I'm thinking of using Lowe's MAPEI 1-Gallon Mapelastic Aquadefense and FibaTape 2-in x 50-ft Gray Self-Adhesive Drywall Tape to waterproof it. Is this ok or is there a better product to use with Hardie Backer?
2) I took the tiles of the celling and it didn't take much effort to take it down, boy I'm glad I took your advice and decided to redo! It was a disaster wanting to happen! I haven't decided if I want to tile the celling or replace the dry wall. The substrate on the current sheet rock has been compromised by the mastic I used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks