slower water flow, stuck pump

Users who are viewing this thread

dave87

Reaction score
Hi, new here, DIY er , this forum helped me replace a stuck pump, thanks. I now got my new pump in, and after a couple minutes of running it full discharge it catches air, bounces the 1 1/4 discharge pipe around. I have used this well for years at full open discharge to fill my 24" pool with no problems. The old pump got stuck, I used 2 gallons of bleach to get it slippery, then ended up using 4 gallons of muriatic acid, to get it out. I am wondering if the chemicals have anything to do with this, or if the casing shrunk around the old pump, and since we put the new pump back down in the same spot, the casing is causing restriction, or maybe something else. located in fl. 4 inc pvc well, 1 1/4 sch 80, had a 4 inch pump, now using 3 inch. pump is 80 ft down, water level is about 60 ft down. my current thought is to have a 4 ft piece of shc 80 threaded and add it, lowering the new pump past a possible shrunken casing. any help is appreciated, thankz.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some places only put casing in the top part of a well when they think the bore is strong enough.

Is your casing PVC or steel?

I suspect that you are going to be better off not handling this as DYI.

dave87

Reaction score
Some places only put casing in the top part of a well when they think the bore is strong enough.

Is your casing PVC or steel?

I suspect that you are going to be better off not handling this as DYI.

casing is PVC. 4 inch
I would like to make sure I am not overlooking something obvious. any and all info is useful. thankz
Yes I have had some help, 2 well drillers so far, first one stuck pump hard in the casing, said only option is to abandon well and drill new, that was Friday 6 days ago. Over the weekend I searched the internet and I free'd up the pump myself , but since he pulled the wire splice out from the pump and then slid between the pump and casing during the first pull, I had to get 2nd truck to pull the rest of the way out Wednesday, jammed again, worked it instead of just pulling, and it finally came out. Installed new 3 inch pump, wire, pipe, thought I was done, until I noticed something unusual.
I have a 20 foot 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe off a TEE at the well cap, cut off with a ball valve, less than 30 days ago I could open the ball valve, and the pipe and water flow stayed steady, and just run out water as smooth as could be, in past years 8 hours was as long as I ever opened this valve, most times I only open for 3-4 hrs. But now since replacing the old pump, I open the ball valve and with in 5 minutes the pipe starts to shutter and can hear chh chh chh chh sound from inside the pipe, ( like the impeller catching air). I then close the ball valve very very slowly, hearing the air bubbles running through it. I get to a point where the air bubble noise and shutter stop , and pure water is running through the ball valve. at this point I figure the water coming out of the well is equal or less than the water coming up the casing to the pump. IE: demand is matching supply. Now I look at the amount of water coming out of the pipe, I would say its a bit more than a garden hose amount, a lot less than the old pump, something is definitely not right. Going to get some video of this well performing for posting.

this post really helped me get my pump unstuck sunday, when the first driller said it was hopeless, pump will not move in or out. Time to abandon well.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/submersible-pump-stuck.28902/

thankz

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks