Slow toilet, Eljer, 3" flush valve

Users who are viewing this thread

bhowell47

Reaction score
I have an Eljer, 3" flush valve, 4 years old. Within a year after I bought it, I had to hold down flush or flapper would go right through water and stop toilet. Hold down for 3 seconds and ok. Often It would not go down, tank would mostly empty but water in bowl would raise to close to rim and water would just go around in toilet( clean, no waste in toilet). Eventually it, if I tried in a few minutes, it would go down holding flusher down for 3 seconds. I took coat hanger to try and clear all the hole under rim. No good. I replaced everything in the tank with new fluidmaster parts and now it just swirls and doesn't ever go down, just swirls. I am about to go buy an American Standard with 4" flush valve like my other toilets in the house but thought I would ask the forum first.

Thank you

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the toilet and drain is clear, you will be able to DUMP a full 5 gallon bucket of water into the bowl and it will drain without hesitation. If you cannot do this, there is a clog.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is more than one possible cause, some of them would NOT be cured by replacing the toilet, but ALL of them can be corrected by a competent plumber, unless you have an improper installation problem, such as the toilet installed over a "P" trap, which I have found more than once.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be as simple as a water level adjustment or flush valve adjustment. Might be a plugged up jet, might be something caught up in the trap, might be something in the lateral. I wouldn't invest in a new toilet until I thouroughly check all the other could be's

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks