Slow shower drain

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by fhorta, Jul 1, 2013.

1. fhorta

fhorta New Member

I have a slow shower drain. Home built 1950's. Has many vents on roof, probably has one dedicated to the shower. I tried sticking in one of those manual drain snakes that are 1/4" in through the clean out in the bath tub but it only goes in about 2 to 3 ft and goes no further. I pulling nothing out when retract the snake, but notice that water drains faster. So it continues to drain good for one day, then slows again. Any ideas, tips, suggestions, advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

My tub/shower drain occasionally starts draining slowly. I think it is due to accumulation of soap residue. What I do is to violate the basic rule of drain cleaning. I use a dose of Liquid Plumber. That seems to clear the stuff out of the drain. Understand, this drain is less than 2 feet in length. I would never consider using a chemical drain cleaner on a main drain clog.
  3. Smooky

Smooky Member

If you did not clean out the drain hole, I would also clean that too. Hair and soap scum can build up in there and cause it to drain slow. Sometimes the linkage needs to be adjusted if you have that type of stopper devise in the overflow.
  4. fhorta

fhorta New Member

I did stick snake through drain hole, but dont go in much either.

I found vent pipe on roof for bathtub. Stuck snake through, the whole 25 ft and did pull out a gunk of hair. Turned on water but still slow to drain. Plugged cleanout hole with plastic bags, used plunger couple of times, and walla, now water draining good. Hope it lasts. Btw, i have septic system, is there anything recommended to keep things under control with plumbing?
  5. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years