Slow input flow a toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

stmijaar

Reaction score
I've got 2 Kohler 1.6 gal toilet bowls. One flushes correctly and is fast. The other is much slower, but flushes ok, without the same flush power. I have used an flexible auger of about 5' length to clean, several times; the last time going as slowly as possible as I rotated the auger.
I have watched the water flow out from both cisterns while holding the ballcock and the flow times out the same for both. My next step was to observe the water flow into the bowl, and sure enough, the slower bowl does not have water flowing in from all the holes. I assume these holes are clogged.
Could there be a clog in the bowl water input flow system and if so, can that be cleared?
P.S. I didn't notice this problem until after I replaced the original flapper because of leakeage. I put in a different Mfr. type since I couldn't find the the OEM replacement.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many companies these days have skimped on QA/QC, so there could be a difference internally on your two toilets. But, if they are old, and one got used more than the other, and you have hard water, the holes under the rim could be compromised by mineral deposits. You can possbily use the end of a coat hanger to ream them out. This is if it's the water coming into the bowl...if it is slow in getting the water out of the bowl, you may have a clogged drain line or there's somthing caught in the trapway. A toilet auger can sometimes just go right by some things caught there.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Take a piece of coathanger wire and push it throuh each of the holes under the rim of the bowl.

Make sure the water level in the tank is set correctly.

If you are using In tank bowl cleanrd discontinue use immediately.

stmijaar

Reaction score
Thank You jadnashua and Redwood,
I haven't ever used an in-tank bowl cleaner and some holes will have to be reamed out , but I think jadnashua is right; I think my auger has gone right by something stuck in the trapway because every time I have solid waste in the bowl, the toilet gets at least partially stuck.
Is there such a thing which can be used to see inside the trapway, like a doctor's TV Scope (A Toilet-O-Scope, perhaps?), and can it be rented? Or, do I have to pull the toilet up and inspect?
If it has to be pulled, I'll get a pro, because I'd be foolish to attempt doing it since I've only seen it done once.

stmijaar

Reaction score
Problem solved!

Thanks to those who let me know about augers not always being able to clear (a non-valuable) object which has stuck in a trapway. The end of the auger is made to bulge out a bit. I bent it about 45 degrees from vertical so that it might act as a primitive form of "rooter". It worked! I now have my 2nd Kohler toilet working perfectly.
I assume the small 2"x3" ScotchBrite sponge that did the clogging (mistakenly flushed) has not had a problem moving through the larger drain pipes.
I'll know soon enough!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks