Slow hot water, then gray stuff - cockatoo shower called off for tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
I went to give Oz ( our umbrella cockatoo ) a shower tonight, which he enjoys every 4 days, like clock work. But the hot water took a longer than usual time to come out of the bottom faucet of the tub, before turning it up into the kitchen sprayer shower for him, then some gray stuff started coming out with the hot water. I'm going; WTF?!

So I called it off, for tonight. I know he breathes in a bunch of water during these showers, and seems to use it to clear his lungs, so I didn't want to risk anything harmful to him.

I'm thinking that maybe the water company was doing some work on the pipes outside the house somewhere, and the gray stuff was from that?

He wimpered quite a bit, but eventually reconciled that, tonight, he just wasn't getting his shower, and went in the aviary to eat.

Reach4

Reaction score
What comes out of a conventional hot water heater is going to be delayed from what comes out of the cold. If you get clear water from the cold, and gray water from the water heater, I would be looking to flush the water heater. After cleaning your water heater, you might be motivated to put in a whole-house filter of some sort. Not a pro, but I have flushed my water heater.

I don't know what the gray stuff would be. It would have been interesting to catch the gray water in a clear bottle, and see what settles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks