Slow hot water - long run

Users who are viewing this thread

interalian

Reaction score
Any comments about using a device like this to give quick hot water at distant taps without the water waste of letting the tap run? I have a 3 storey house with the master bath about as far from the basement water heater as you could get.

Thanks,

AD

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
The work, but also, you have to remember, that most of those devices push the water from the hot water line, back through the cold water lines. What is the possibility of locating a small Electric Water Heater on that floor, or an On Demand?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hot Water Supply

[size=

Just What You Need ! !:d
I Have Installed And Worked With These System's You Can Get A Small Remote For Your Nite-stand Push The Button When You Turn Your Alarm Off By The Time You Get To Bathroom You Have Hot Water For A Shower,:d
Without Wasting Any Water It Recerc's Back Though Your Cold Pipes
In A Very Few Seconds, It Has Automatic Shutoff Sensor When You Get Hot Water,

Jerrymac Masterplumber & Master Water Heaters:d

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
They work very well. A similar system which I like is the Grundfos Comfort System. The pump goes in the garage or closet with the water heater, which is often more convenient as far as availability of an electric connection. The only thing which goes under the sink is a crossover vavle assembly. And you can use more than one of those, on one pump, if you have a large or spread out house.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The equipment cost is about 3 times the cost of a small point-of-use heater installed at the same point, which will accomplish the same thing without requiring anyone to push a button.

Something like the Ariston GL2.5 or GL4 will maintain hot water near the point of primary use. The POU heater contains enough hot water to mix with what is in the supply line to provide hot water immediately and until hot water arrives from the water heater.

http://pexsupply.com/product_dtl.asp?pID=4716&cID=642&brand=Bosch

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hot water

That pump requires an electrical outlet under the sink, which few bathroom sinks have. The Grundfos Comfort, or Laing systems place the pump at the water heater which is usually more accessible electrically, and have an easily installed thermostatic valve at the fixture. Because the pump is centrally located, you can install the thermostatic valves in as many locations as desired or necessary. The water going back into the cold water system is basically at ambient temperature so it seldom creates any problem.

interalian

Reaction score
That pump requires an electrical outlet under the sink, which few bathroom sinks have. The Grundfos Comfort, or Laing systems place the pump at the water heater which is usually more accessible electrically, and have an easily installed thermostatic valve at the fixture. Because the pump is centrally located, you can install the thermostatic valves in as many locations as desired or necessary. The water going back into the cold water system is basically at ambient temperature so it seldom creates any problem.

I once saw one on-line that didn't require a switch to operate but haven't been able to find it again. As soon as the HW tap was opened, the pump unit sensed the flow and turned on the pump, sending the ambient water back down the cold line until it sensed hot water, then turned off. The Laing system looks like it constantly keeps hot water circulating through the system and looks like it would cost $$ to run in the long term due to constant movement of hot water.

In my application, there would be no problem running a 120VAC circuit under the sink.

AD

PS: thanks for the replies

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have a RedyTemp unit that works well. It is located under the vanity furthest from the WH. One nice feature is that it has a user adjustable thermostat so you can decide how warm or hot you want the water before it turns off. It easily lends itself to wired, wireless, or timer activation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks