Slow Flush/Running at times

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by tate16t, Mar 9, 2010.

1. tate16t

tate16t New Member

I noticed my toilet flushes slowly and doesn't have as much force. A few times within the last few weeks it did not flush at all and the water level would rise. When this occurred I would plunge it and it would seem ok for while and then the same problem would return. Also, it runs for about 15secs at times. What might be the cause? Could these two problems be related?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

They're probably not related. The intermittent running usually means that the flapper valve is leaking...the sound of water running is just that, after the water leaks far enough, the valve turns on to refill the tank. Shut the supply off and leave it...my guess is that the tank will be empty after awhile. Replace the flapper, or make sure there's nothing caught on the sealing surface preventing it from making good contact.

The slow flush is one of two things: there's something caught in the toilet trap (pen, hair pin, toothbrush, toy, etc.) or the main line is partially clogged. WHen it's partially clogged, it depends on how recently you've run water somewhere and how far the pipe has filled up. Since it's not a complete block, after awhile, it drains, giving you room to flush again. If it isn't in the toilet, it's usually time to call a pro.
  3. tate16t

tate16t New Member

i snaked the bowl this morning and it appeared to help. I will keep an eye on it.